Housing Discrimination

City, State, and Federal Laws Protecting Tenants’ From Discrimination

The City Human Rights Law protects residents of most types of housing in New York City against discrimination. If you reside in an apartment building or multiple family dwelling, co-op, condominium, government-assisted housing, or residential hotel, you are covered under the Law. The Law does not extend to residents of two-family houses if the owner or a member of the owner’s family resides in one of the housing accommodations and the available housing accommodation was not advertised. In addition, you are not covered by the Law if you rent a room or rooms in non-government assisted housing where the owner resides.

It is unlawful for landlords, superintendents, building managers, condominium owners, cooperative owners and boards to discriminate in the sale, rental or lease of a housing accommodation or in the provision of services and facilities because of a person’s actual or perceived race, color, national origin, gender (including gender identity), disability, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, partnership status, alienage or citizenship status, any lawful source of income, age, lawful occupation, or because children are or may be residing with the person.

Under the Housing Stability and Tenant Protection Act of 2019, it is also unlawful for building owner to refuse to rent to a tenant because of prior action against the tenant in Housing Court.

Complaints about discrimination of any kind or landlord’s failure to provide reasonable accomodation to tenants with disabilities (see below) can be made to the New York City Commission on Human Rights. The NYCCHR can also be reached by phone by calling 311 or (212) 416-0197


Laws Enforced by HUD:
Fair Housing Act 
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and diability.

Fair Housing Act
The Fair Housing Act, as amended in 1988, prohibits housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, and national origin. Its coverage includes private housing, housing that receives Federal financial assistance, and State and local government housing. It is unlawful to discriminate in any aspect of selling or renting housing or to deny a dwelling to a buyer or renter because of the disability of that individual, an individual associated with the buyer or renter, or an individual who intends to live in the residence. Other covered activities include, for example, financing, zoning practices, new construction design, and advertising.